Friday, July 17, 2009

Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants

Article
Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants
By Marc Prensky

In my opinion I do believe there to exist a generation gap between those of us were not born in the digital world, a.k.a. "Digital Immigrants" versus those who were born in the digital world, a.k.a. "Digital Natives". Most certainly if we first and foremost acknowledge these differences and form a better understanding, then perhaps we may be better equipped to lessen the gap.

http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

6 comments:

  1. What about the people in between? The hybrid DI and DN per se? Are they in limbo? They have not been fully immersed in technology but have had exposure to it and have used it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to think that I am a "Hybrid DN" like Lisa calls it. I wasn't born into technology but I have been right in the middle of the switch. It is a little different because the technology has been around me for about half of my life. I guess the half where I've learned to use it in my day to day routines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that one must always be constantly 'updating' themselves...to be a digital native. It's hard when new technologies spring up every other second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh! I really wonder what I am. I think that I probably fit in with the DN. I have always loved all the technology and I always want to have the latest gadget that comes out. For example we all know that camera have imporved, well in the past two years I have purchased three cameras. I just cannot help it. (or maybe I am just a shopaholic? idk!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As educators we are always filling in the gap, so in reply to Mayra's comment yes we have to constantly update ourselves if we want to reach our students. The problem is catching up to new technologies, but that's why it is important to find the right one for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a graduate of the 70's, I totally agree with you and feel quite the immigrant. However, challenges always a great vehicle to acquire knowledge. Thank goodness my grandchildren are already ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete